Sesame & Honey-Ginger Chicken or Tofu
This is an awesome some go-to protein marinade recipe to accompany any asian inspired meal or salad. I usually just marinate it on the counter for up to 2 hrs but feel free to do it the day before and refrigerate overnight.
CLICK IMAGE BELOW FOR VIDEO TUTORIAL!
2 large boneless/skinless chicken breasts (or 6 thighs) or tofu, sliced 1/4" thick strips
2 tbsp NOOC Honey Ginger White Balsamic
1 tbsp NOOC Japanese Toasted Sesame Oil
1 tbsp NOOC Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tbsp Tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
Salt & pepper to taste
Chili flakes or ground chilies to taste (optional)
- Whisk marinade ingredients in a small bowl and toss thoroughly with chicken. Let marinate at room temperature for up to 2 hrs, or refrigerate in an airtight container overnight.
- Heat an oven safe frying pan over med/high heat. Add chicken and marinade, sauté for about 3 mins until chicken is just sealed (white on all sides).
- Cover and reduce heat to med/low and simmer gently for 7-10 mins.
- Meanwhile, set oven to broil (low) and move one rack to top level of oven.
- Remove the lid from the pan and place chicken under the broiler. Broil for about 5-7 mins until liquid has JUST evaporated and tops are beginning to brown (careful not to burn - add a little water if the liquid evaporates before the chicken starts browning). Try this with Sesame Honey Ginger Rice Noodle Salad!
PANKO CHICKEN or TOFU STRIPS! Add an egg to the marinade, pull strips (in this case cut the chicken or tofu into thicker strips - about 3/4") out of liquid and generously coat with PANKO bread crumbs (spread the PANKO on a plate and dab strips to coat all sides), bake on parchment lined baking sheet at 350 F for 20-25 mins, turning 1/2 way through, until golden brown!
STIRFRY! Heat a tbsp of EVOO in a pan, add a chopped onion and cook on med/low for 5-10 mins until soft. Add small chicken pieces (reserve marinade) and fry until sealed, add marinade to pan and cook on med/high for a few minutes to caramelize, then add 1/3 c of water, bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer until sauce thickens. Finish by adding veggies of your choice, my faves are broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, carrot, snap peas, bok choy, spinach…whatever your pleasure! Serve over rice or quinoa, and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds or almonds
TIP: The more surface area you can expose to the marinade the better, I tend to slice the breasts in 2 or 3 large strips before marinating if I’m going to BAKE or BBQ, or even smaller strips if I’m going to stir-fry.
The sky is the limit with this marinade! Try substituting the Honey Ginger & Sesame with any combination of the following (skip the soy sauce and you really only need to add salt and pepper to these and they are amazing - but adding fresh garlic or NOOC Garlic Olive Oil is always welcome!